Thursday, February 11, 2021

Stop the Hate

While it might not get much coverage from mainstream media, there has been a surge in hate crimes against Asian Americans.  Yesterday I saw an incident on social media and broke down in tears.  I have never understood hate, and probably never will, but I do know that crying won't solve the problem either.

Since I was little I have seen people hate "them."  Sometimes the "them" is people who identify as transgender.  Sometimes the "them" is anyone of a different race.  Sometimes it's religion based or sexual orientation.  There seems to have always been people who hate other people just for who they are.  Again, I don't understand it.

The hate toward Asian Americans isn't something new.  I saw it directed toward the third generation Chinese American woman that I worked with.  "Go back to your own country," someone shouted at her one day.  She told me she had never been out of this own.  Why is it that one of the first questions an Asian hears is "Where are you from"?  I just don't understand it!

I do know that we can make changes.  We can stop the hate - ALL of the hate.  We can also help correct the horrible things that have happened.  Those Chinese restaurants that have been boycotted?  Turn it around.  Only eat at Asian restaurants for awhile.  Flood them with business.  Support other Asian owned businesses too.  Also - and this is very important, stop looking the other way.  If you witness any racist activity, speak up.  Don't let it continue.  If it is a criminal act, report it.  Don't ignore assaults or vandalism.  All human beings have the same rights and nobody should have to live in fear.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment