Friday, February 19, 2021

Stand against hate

Writing about good things and people and organizations that help make them happen, is what I set out to do thirteen years ago. I much prefer writing those positive stories and talking about the bad things that happen in our world. I see the hate crimes though. I'm not ignoring them.

My stomach churns at the horrible news that seems to be coming more and more. Crimes committed against Asian Americans are in fact at a higher level each day. I'm not only talking about discrimination against Asian Americans but also verbal harassment and physical assault.

The simple answer of course is for everyone to stop hating.  Hate is always bad.  I have written here about anti-gay and anti-trans and anti-Black and anti-Jewish and anti-Asian and a whole bunch of other antis.  It is all bad.  Unfortunately it won't stop just because I urge it.  Tougher hate crimes laws?  Perhaps.  I think we need more though.  It's going to take people working together.  It's going to take caring and committed people willing to take a stand against hate.  

We need to be supportive of the targeted communities too.  Right now with our Asian sisters and brothers under attack, let's all be more aware.  If you see something, say something.  When someone makes a racist remark, challenge it.  Out shopping?  Give extra attention to Asian owned businesses.  Getting some take-out?  How about that Chinese restaurant you like so much.  

Now is not the time to say it doesn't concern me.  Crimes against people are really crimes against ALL people.  It needs to stop.  One more thing:  we can all ask what we can personally do beyond these things I mentioned.  Let the Asian community direct us to things that would be helpful to them.  Let's end these hate crimes NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment