Monday, May 6, 2013

being there for others

There have been many days since my mother died that haven't been easy.  Yesterday was the day we interred her ashes at their final resting place.  It was emotional to say the least.  I'm a lucky guy though because I have not been alone.  My sister has been there the whole time and so have a lot of great friends.  Yesterday, a friend who never even met Mom, came to lend support.  Today I am having coffee with another person who cares and wants to be there.

There are times in all of our lives when we need others.  Sometimes we don't want to admit it, be having support is a great joy and comfort.  It wasn't long ago when I wrote something similar and quoted a popular song "No man is an island."  Pretty simple I said back then.  We need each other. 

I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me when people have called or come by or written or otherwise made themselves available to me during the past several weeks.  I'm not talking about saying "I'm here for you" either.  I'm talking about actually being there.  It does make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment