Thursday, May 23, 2013

We all need hope

This week was the birthday of the late Harvey Milk and at a celebration of his life on Sunday, a group of people read his "Hope" speech that I have quoted here before.  I noticed a number of people posted that entire speech various places online.  The oft quoted line from his speech is "you have to give people hope."  Indeed.
 
I'm not sure how many of you remember the great actor and comedian Bob Hope.  I'm not going to say that life without his humor is Hope-less.  His performances endure even today.  The comedian was not born with that name though and one reason for the name change (I have no idea if this is true or just a clever bit on his part) was that since he was Leslie Hope, when listed alphabetically with his last name first, the way they always do in school, he was Hope, Les.  Nobody wants to be hopeless!
 
We all need hope.  Every one of us.  What gives you hope?  Are there people who inspire you and urge you on?  Do certain events or organizations bring you hope?  Tell us about it.  I'd love to see your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment