Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hello Felipe, hello

This is the latest in the day I have ever written this.  Minor surgery on my pinky slowed me down.  The subject has changed though from what I was originally going to say because on the way home from the doctor, I learned of the passing of Felipe Sanchez Paris, a dear friend - a loving father, grandfather, and husband.
 
The Right Reverend Otis Charles had been the Episcopal Bishop of Utah and in his retirement, he came out as a gay man and moved to San Francisco where he married Felipe Sanchez Paris.  It was through Bishop Otis that I met Felipe.  (That's the short version).

Felipe was a retired professor, a political organizer, a devoted churchman, and a family man with kids and grandkids, ex-wives, and a husband whom he adored and who adored him.  Every time I saw him he had a kind word for me and it seemed he always had a twinkle in his eye.  Felipe did not shy away from controversy.  He stood up and indeed he made a difference.  The world is a better place because Felipe came our way!

While I sorrow with dear Bishop Otis and all who mourn, I also rejoice in a life lived to the fullest.  I never have been a fan of saying goodbye.  I believe in life eternal and I know that I will see this wonderful man again.  So, hello Felipe.  Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment