Friday, July 5, 2013

We need more laborers

From Saint Luke's gospel: "The harvest truly is plenteous, but the laborers are few."  Some of the regular readers of this blog are probably cringing right now.  I have been told that specific references to Scripture make some uncomfortable.  (I was also told to not spend so much time on "gay stuff" an "those trangenders" but I don't pay a lot of attention to anything that suggests a lack of tolerance.  Most of what I write about here is rooted in God's Word, even if I don't specifically quote from The Bible. 
 
Anyway, about those laborers that I mentioned at the top of all of this.  Jesus is the one talking in the quote and the reason it came to mind is that I realized it was what was going to me read in many churches this morning.  Perfect!  This is the kind of thing I am always talking about anyway.  Labor.  Doing.  Getting involved. 
 
Now Jesus is telling us in effect that we are going to be working very hard because it's a big job and not enough people have signed up.  Nothing wrong with the harvest - the problem is with the laborers.  We need more!  Well, we could talk here about everyone working harder or about everyone doing more or about getting more people involved.  How about we do all of these things?  There is a whole lot of work to be done.  Who though is being asked to do it?  Pretty simple answer:  we ALL are!  We all need to get involved to do the work of making things better.  Together we can move mountains.  Together we can do pretty much anything.  The load is not as heavy if there are more folks doing it.
 
Let us all become laborers in this field of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment