Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mary Jane Foster Died Last Year

Since this blog is NOT about me, I not only don't write about myself, but I also don't write about my family. Aunt Dee (that's want we called her) is one of the reasons I write this though.  Aunt Dee is one of the reasons I like giving back.  She had always been a giver, but when I first wrote about her here last March, she was laying in a hospital bed and doctors were trying to determine exactly what happened.  Aunt Dee had been found on the floor of her apartment, unresponsive and she was rushed to the hospital. 

This blog is about making a difference in the world – about giving back and doing something that benefits others. My aunt might well have been the poster person for such giving. For as long as I can remember she was doing things that benefit other people. As a schoolteacher she helped shape young minds and in her retirement, she gave by volunteering at her church, at a local hospital, and at a blood center. She told wonderful stories of things that happened at that hospital and about the blood donations. In fact she always had a wonderful story to tell. I don't really know how many hours she spent volunteering, but I could tell she got so much enjoyment from helping out.

It broke my heart knowing she was unable to give in those last days when I first wrote about her here. It broke my heart too of course when she died - one year ago today.  The most difficult blog entry I ever wrote up until recently, was the next day when I began "Mary Jane Foster, of Zephyr Hills, Florida, passed away after a short illness. She was predeceased by her parents, her husband, and by her three brothers.  She is survived by her sister, my mom, and by twelve nieces and nephews (including me); five great nieces and nephews; three great-great nieces and nephews; and in-laws. Mary Jane was an elementary teacher for many years. She and my uncle bought a farm when she retired.  She enjoyed participating in harness racing.  She volunteered at Shriners Hospital for Children, at her church, and for the local blood bank (where she also regularly donated blood).  She was a special lady and I miss her already!" 

I know that I will never forget my Aunt Dee.  One year later I want to say that I still miss her so very much but I am so glad to have had her in my life.  She touched countless lives and I KNOW she made a difference in this world! As you know, I had a more difficult blog entry to write last month when my mother died.  In fact, for the first time since I began writing this blog, I took time off and wrote nothing here for several days.  Mom and Aunt Dee will always be a part of who I am.  I want to make a difference in this world like they did.  I strive to follow in their footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment